Sunday, April 14, 2013

Facebook Groups Are Great for Writers (Zara Hoffman guest post)

Everyone says the Internet is either a distraction or the best thing to happen in our lifetime. More often than not, I agree with the latter. 

I love Facebook. It allows me to keep in touch with my friends and keep up to date on some of my favorite pages. Most recently, though, I’ve developed a new love for the social network. 
 
Facebook Groups
The Teens Can Write, Too! and Go Teen Writers Facebook groups are friendly communities for writers that offer moral support and fun anecdotes to help motivate me when I’m looking for inspiration. Some people prefer to write alone and share afterwards, and these groups give you that opportunity. 
 
It’s a hangout, not a mandatory club in which you need to contribute a specific amount to get advice or help (as it is with some writing website forums). 

As to balancing my time in these groups and actually writing? I generally check in once a day and see if there are any interesting new threads I should be aware of. I try and stay off Facebook other than to wish people happy birthday, see the latest news on my biggest obsessions so I can maximize my writing time. 
 
Word Wars!
Sometimes, there are “Word Wars” where people agree to write as much as they can within a given amount of time and we keep a chat open, it can be very effective and satisfying. I actually have yet to do one, but Go Teen Writers is hosting a similar scenario, but it’s called 100 for 100 in which you sign up and promise to write 100 words for 100 days. Currently we’re about halfway through and I’m over the 50% mark in word count. Forums on writing websites also offer these opportunities, but there’s something I just like about the Facebook Group configuration.

Facebook Groups changed my writing experience and it may change yours too. However you write, there are friendly writer groups all over the internet (I also use Figment.com, Wattpad.com, and NaNoWriMo.org), so know that you’re not alone!
 
*****
 
Zara Hoffman is a teen author currently working on a YA fantasy romance called 7th Heaven and has three other WIPs. When she isn't wrapped up in projects, Zara can be found relaxing with friends, family, listening to music, reading, writing, and playing with her puppy. Learn more at her blog, her website, or directly via e-mail.
 
*****
 
Connect with Not Bob via Twitter @robertleebrewer
 
*****
 
Check out previous Not Bob goodies below:

5 comments:

Deborah Rocheleau said...

Awesome post, Zara. Yes, Go Teen Writers do love their word wars. And 100 for 100 is a great way to find encouragement to write.

Stephanie Morrill said...

Great post, Zara! Love having you as part of the Go Teen Writers community!

its not so simple said...

Very well done

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your wonderful words of encouragement! Also, thanks to 100 for 100, I finished my first draft of my novel yesterday.

Victoria Grace Howell said...

Very cool post. :) Go Teen Writers has definitely changed my writing life for the better. I've grown faster in my writing ever since I've joined. :)